Wednesday, October 20, 2010

My Hope For This Blog

I have been thinking a lot recently about why I am a combo feeder instead of being able to exclusively breastfeed. I feel a lot of remorse in some of the decisions that I made that I feel added to my need to supplement with formula.
In no way do I want a mom with low supply to feel that this issue is "made-up." It is very real. However, I think all to often, due to poor support, mis-education, etc a woman may have a low supply when she could have had a healthy breastfeeding relationship without supplementation.
I set out on a quest a while back to make a difference. To help other succeed where I felt I had failed. While I hope to better the education and support in my local area, I felt I needed a way to reach farther.
This, plus my growing friendship with other breastfeeding moms made me think- wouldn't it be nice to have a site that really let us all share our feelings? I know there are a lot of them out there, but I wanted one that several different moms could come on and write. I wanted it to be a site that advocates breastfeeding, while still acknowledging the possibility of low supply. A site that breastfeeding moms can share their opinions in a way not available on parenting forums and social networks. A place where they can freely speak of breastfeeding, without risking offending someone or having a battle of comments break out.
So, these are my breast thoughts....and hopefully the thoughts of other mamas too.
Please, if you are a breastfeeding mama who would like to be an author- let me know through the comments. We would love to hear from you.

Becca
Photobucket

2 comments:

shortcakesmom said...

I agree. I think poor advice and lack of information led to me combo feeding as well. I often wonder IF things could've been different had I known all that I know now. BFing isn't easy. No one said it would be. But I never thought I'd have the struggles I have had. I often feel guilty that maybe I didn't try hard enough. And I feel irritated that I wasn't as prepared for issues as I should've been. So many emotions tied to feeding your child.
Great blog and I look fwd to more!
LD

Anonymous said...

Well written!! I look forward to reading more! I would be happy tp write something for you if you want. just let me know.